Saturday, July 10, 2010

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and Vilnius

Labas!

The experience of Lithuania has been an odd one to say the least. The bus trip here took 12 hours from Warsaw, but since it was a night bus with no one in the seat next to me it was acceptable. Plus I actually remembered to buy food and water before the bus left. This was not the case during the 12 hour Berlin-Warsaw ride where a family ate an entire cooked chicken in the seat next to me while I tried to savor my remaining 3 Tic-Tacs. However, upon arriving in Vilnius I realized I forgot my travel planner I've been keeping. This planner contained all the info for the hostel I am staying so it was a major annoyance to lose. I ended up getting an inadvertent tour of the city as I roamed the streets in search for the internet.

The hostel, "Jimmy Jumps", is soo cool. The Canadian guy who owns and operates it is absolutely the coolest and I've spoke with him a bunch about how he got into the business and just started up the place on a whim and is now terribly successful. It feels more like you are staying at an awesome friends house that serves free waffles in the morning. The people here are also very cool and we have went out several times to check out the night life which is curiously much more hoppin' than Warsaw.

However, the craziest thing that has happened was going shooting with a group from the hostel. Apperently Lithuania doesn't believe in huge gun regulation like some European countries. We went with an army guy to an old Soviet bunker in the middle of nowhere (a little dodgy I admit) and shot the s*** out of everything. We had 12 different guns too including M4's and AK 47's. I don't really get into guns in general, but it was a super wild experience. Don't worry Mom, it was safe.

Next stop is north to Riga where more Baltic suprises are sure to crop up.

Viso Gero,
Eurokid

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bud! Wow! I would like to shoot guns like that too! It sounds so fun, out there, and sounds like it was a blast...I know you're safe and you're smart. What a cool sounding hostel and fun name! We'll see you soon..we're counting the days - love you more than the Lithuanian world, MIM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Not the planner! I don't know how you're handling those 12 hour bus rides. My heart goes out to you. Sounds like East Europe is the place to visit!

    ReplyDelete