Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Magical MysteRiga Tour






















Sveiki!

Latvia has been a strange land. My bus ride from Vilnius was a great deal shorter than the ride from Warsaw which was much appreciated and I was much more prepared in terms of food and beverages. Pretzels and nuts nourished me during my trip and the conversation was also stimulating. I found myself sitting on the bus next to a big player from the Netherland's Christian Democratic Party. He filled me in on his party and how he is involved with an orphan reduction program in Africa. He was really an interesting guy and it was great hearing his story.


Riga itself is a luscious city, but the heat here is putting a damper on my site seeing. As a fellow traveler, Brittney, told me in Berlin, "this is vacation dude, do whatever you want". So, apart from a brief walking tour, I've been laying low and drinkin in the hostel trying to fend off the heat.

Last night I did experience a completely new level of cool. The owners of the hostel organized a group of 8 people for a BBQ at a campsite by the Baltic Sea. We headed there and ate a huge pile of smoked meat after swimming in the Baltic (it was that hot up here). Additional coolness was added because it stays so much lighter here due to the latititude. In fact, the sunset was around 10:15 last night. We stayed in the water until the sun set, were accosted by flies the size of butter sticks, and then went home. It was by far the best Riga offered.

I am now in Tallinn (I didn't have time to blog on location, Buhh) and it seems to be even better here. I will report back with my findings.

Uz Redzeลกanos
Eurokid

P.S. I have also received a request for pictures on this here blog. Most of mine have not been uploaded onto a computer, but these were e-mailed to me by a guy who went to the BBQ too. Pardon the poor layout.

4 comments:

  1. Great, Mike. Now I won't be able to snack on sticks of butter for at least a month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the sea..you didn't mention what kind of meat you ate..beautiful sunset, which you KNOW is one of your Mim's favorite things in the whole wide world! Love you more than the Latvia world!! See you in a week! I (we) can't wait...stay cool, love, Mim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably the best title-pun yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for honoring my requests for photos! I'm sure that sunset was even better in person!

    ReplyDelete