Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Put a chicken in the ocean and Helsinki

Päivää,

Wow, that "hello" doesn´t even look real, but it´s what google told me... My trip to and from Helsinki has been a super unique one. I left Tallinn, after staying an extra night, on a fast ferry that skirted me over to Helsinki in only an hour and a half. During the trip we passed beautiful scenery of the Estonian and Finnish shoreline, marvelous rain showers in the distance, and majestic ships plowing their way through the smooth Baltic waters. However, I was oblivious to all of this because I was sleeping during the whole excursion. I had to be up at 7:45 AM which my body is equating with bedtime lately rather than a time to get up.

Relaxed from my nap, when I was ejected from the ferry to the shores of Finland I was ready to explore. I searched all around and found another ferry line which I used to book a passage to Stockholm where I would meet my parents. Once I had the ticket in hand I explored 2 nearby churches and feasted in an open market which served me a hearty portion of potatoes and reindeer meatballs. Donner was delicious.

The real fun happened on the cruise I took from Helsinki to Stockholm. At first it appeared as if I was the only one who fit into the age demographic of 17 to 35 year olds. This was reinforced by the other 3 guys in my cabin, one of which had the smelliest feet in all of history. I had to exit the room several times to gag and get fresh air. On one such get away, I managed to see the largest rainbow in the world. I don´t even know how to describe how big it was, but it stretched across the entire sky like the gates of Mordor (did I reference that right JooJee?), and I couldn´t even fit the whole thing on my camera. I did take a load of pictures though...

Later on I went to a live music show and found my kin. 3 people who were right age bracket (one of which I actually knew, and have been stalking since Warsaw always a few days behind). It was a groovy time of live music, disco, and Finnish beer. All I´ve ever wanted in life. I was in such a good mood that I didn´t even smell stinkfoot when I returned to the cabin and slept until we hit the dock in Sweden.

Now I´m in Sweden hanging with my parents which is an abrupt change of pace. I´ll let you know how it turns out!


Näkemiin,
Eurokid

1 comment: