Saturday, July 17, 2010

Charming, Tallinnted individual

Tervist,

To sum up Tallinn in one word: touristy. The whole old town outside my hostel is pumped full of wenches wearing typical peasant garb and barking at me to come and eat their wild boar stew. At first it was charming, but after getting handed the 556th flier it gets a little old. The city itself is really clean and beautiful though.

To keep busy I've done two tours in the city. The biking tour which I went on today took me around the city, to a market where we all were given a mission by the guide to buy the best pair of panties we could find for under $0.40, and to a prison that was just decommissioned in 2005. The former Soviet jail was super creepy. They just left all the equipment, such as operating tools, scalpels, typewriters, vials of clear liquids, ect...

The walking tour I participated in the day before was a different story. To preface, I'd been suffering from a headache the previous day, (possibly caused by the solid chunk of sausage that acted as my entire meal of the day) so I decided the best course of action was to rehydrate. I did this by ingesting nearly 3 liters of water and a liter of OJ. About half way during the tour the liquid groaned within me and the only toilet near cost 3 Krooni. This comes to about a $0.25, but I only had a $500 Krooni bill with me. So I quickly ditched the tour and waddled back to a free toilet by the old church we started at. After remedying my condition, I entered the church and took a look at the Danse Macabre that is lodged within.

I'm slightly over half way done with my European Exursion and it just feels like a started. Tomorrow I'm grabbing a ferry to Helsinki where I will spend the day, then I plan on taking a night ferry over to Stockholm where I hear some of my relatives might be visiting.

Head aega!

Eurokid

3 comments:

  1. You are so right, your relatives are getting ready to leave for the airport...we can't believe how giddy and excited we are...we'll see you soon....love you more than the Helsinki world, Dad and Mim P.s. glad your plumbing is working!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you're in Estonia! How cool! Less cool...the fact that they left SCALPELS in the prison. that's so creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh. I wonder if the waters chant ESTONIA! on your way over to Helsinksi. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete