Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I came, Warsaw, I conqured

Cześć

Eastern Europe, what a place. I have entered a realm of backpackers who stray from the beaten paths and traditional tourist sites of the West and it has been amazing.

Getting to Warsaw was an adventure in itself. The bus ride from Berlin was 12 hours and I was the only American (or native English speaker) on board. Luckily I met a few really awesome people who helped me out. All were super hospitable and I didn't feel quite so terrible about leaving the more English speaking city of Berlin.

I haven't done a lot of sight seeing in Warsaw especially when compaired to Berlin where I went on several tours and walked around extensivly. I did see a museum today about the Polish uprising that took place in WWII and it was very intense. Some of the scenes and exhibits probably wouldn't have been displayed in US because they were so graphic. Overall it was a sombering experience but a good one none the less.

Luckily the rest of the time in the city has been the funniest I've had in a while. The people in the hostel are really close and bond really quickly. We've went out just about every night but it is much different than Berlin. For one they do not seem to believe in clubs here in Warsaw. Last night for instance we went out to a bar to watch the world cup match and then went to another pub (which closed at midnight). This forced us to wander the streets looking for something that was open. Unfortunatly nothing, and I mean absolutly nothing, was open and we just came back to the hostel.

One intersting thing about Warsaw is how awful the bike riders are here. The first night that we went out to eat we saw a biker plow into the menu sign outside the resturaunt and totally wipe out and take the menu board with him. Today, we saw a biker crash into a waitress at a different resturant we ate at which sent glasses and bottels everywhere. Compaired to the rest of Europe (especially Amsterdam where bikers are everywhere and thus the populous has mastered the art) the Poles seem to be terrible drivers.

Next on the tour is further into the unknown, Vilnius in Lithuania. What awaits is anyone's guess, but so far Eastern Europe has been a blast and I've got high expectations.

Do zobaczenia,
Eurokid

6 comments:

  1. I can't believe nothing was open past midnight! The Polish are supposed to be real party people, and they invented vodka! That's probably why they're such bad cyclists. They're all drunk. I would love to see pics from Lithuania. I don't think I've ever known anyone who's been there. You're now my most well-traveled friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best title thus far! Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself, mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are the polish wurst? I'm trying not to be as "mim-mushy" this post....they sound as coordinated as me...maybe I'm part polish, or I have MS. Love you more than the Warsaw World, Mim-pulsky (that's polish for Mim-pulksy)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah -
    I never put the two together. It is so obvious now that they are all plastered during the day, get injured riding bikes, and are forced to stay in and recover during the evenings. They then wake up, catch-up on the drinking they missed out on and the cycle repeats. I'll get tons of pictures of Lithuania! Also, this is the furthest north and east I've ever been in my life. Wild!

    Joojie -
    Oh the people you meet! I almost forgot to mention to you that in Berlin I met a few girls studying in Prague and on a weekend holiday. One was originally from Illinois and went to Northwestern. Guess who she lived a few doors from...Scotty? Correct. It's a small small world.

    Mim -
    Let's hope it's a case of the Poles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed out-loud at the thought of bad bikers! They probably had horrible spandex on too! :) LOL!!!! Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also sit at my computer laughing out loud at this post. Miss you

    ReplyDelete